Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Maybe an answer

I saw Dr. Johnson, one of Angela's ICU doctors, in the hospital today and told him she was back and why. He said it's fatty liver, then looked at her chart and scans and said she needs to be eating less (though she is eating relatively well) and having her blood sugar more controlled. Then he called her current doctor (the one who admitted her last night was just filling in) and gave her his opinion. When I met this new doctor this afternoon (I wish I could remember her name - I do like her), she said she wanted another test and a discussion with a GI doctor, but basically agreed with Dr. Johnson.

I've spent some time looking up the condition, and it seems that there isn't really a "fix"; Angela just needs to lose weight, keep her diabetes under control, and exercise--things we already know, and maybe take some antioxidants. If it's early enough, it can be reversed. Otherwise, it's progression can at least be stopped. If not, it can lead to cirrhosis, so it's important to take care of it.

That's my short version - hopefully it's correct. At least this makes sense; it's frustrating asking questions and not getting answers.

We are extremely grateful to God for Dr. Johnson and for running into him today.

No comments: