Wednesday, August 22, 2012

NG Tube

Yesterday, when I arrived, Angela was herself, for the first time in several days.  But it didn't last long, and she refused her Lactulose.  After a battle of about an hour, I only was able to get half of it down her.  We tried the Geodon again since the last time it made her take the Lactulose, but this time it didn't have that effect.  I really don't want to do that any more, especially since it isn't working.  This morning, she was still very confused, but she did eat a good breakfast.  But, she still continued to refuse her meds.  The dietitian told me again yesterday, and I think this time it stuck, that she needs more protein for healing, but without the Lactulose dietary protein turns into ammonia.  So I consented to a feeding tube this morning.  They will also start the 2-3 day process of getting her a PEG tube, for feeding and meds directly into her stomach.  It takes that long for scheduling and evaluation, I am told.
I continue to be amazed at the way our bodies, when they are healthy, balance everything so easily because when someone loses that balance it is so difficult to regain it, and so many factors that need to go into that process.
We also found out yesterday that her UTI is VRE (Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococci), and the best antibiotic is one she is allergic to.  So, that is also undoubtedly contributing to her confusion.  They are using another one I'm hopeful will work.
We are blessed to have a competent and compassionate team with many specialties to guide in her care.  I continue to believe that this is a bump in the road and not the end of the road, and I am hopeful that getting her appropriate nutrition and medication will get her over it.
Of course, she continues to be in God's hands, and there is no better place.

No comments: