Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Two steps forward, one step backward

This morning, Angela had problems getting rid of carbon dioxide, not a new problem for her. In the late morning the doctor and respiratory therapists tweaked the ventilator settings, and she started improving. The goal is to get her mean airway pressure to around 15 (I don't remember the units). They were able to lower it to around 22, but tried for around 21 and she wasn't able to tolerate that. Her % oxygen was down below 50, but had to be raised a bit after the failed attempt to lower her airway pressure. By 6:00 when I left, her airway pressure was around 24 and % oxygen at 54.

The doctor wants to try her on the regular ventilator again, maybe tomorrow or the next day, depending on how well she continues to do. He told me today that the alveoli that were so stiff are becoming more pliable. I take that to mean that the lungs are starting to heal.

I am still being reminded that she is one very sick girl, but I think a little bit less sick than yesterday. Praise God.

1 comment:

caspersmom said...

Hi Angela, Glad to hear you are getting a little better. As the catblogosphere says purrs and prayers going up for you. I will follow this blogger.

Love,
Monica Ernst